What's new

Rant About Your Day Here!

Ugh so right... I wrench on a friends '92 Nighthawk, I swear every bolt that that thing was tightened to death and then the bike was stored outside its entire life. Whenever I work on a new part of it most every fastener is close to the ragged edge of snapping or rounding off. But hey, its not as bad as old Ag equipment or marine stuff.

1714742390465.png

:hide

Took my eBike for a 40 mile ride to and around the old neighborhood yesterday. I left it in '75, my folks just a couple of years later. A lot of the woods are gone but some of the woods where we had our tree forts remain. I was having a good time reminiscing when I cut between a ditch and a tree and hit a stick. Maybe only 2" in diameter and 4' long, so I went over it. WRONG, it had a hidden offshoot that spun up and went into my spokes locking up the front wheel, almost tossing me over the handlebars, snapped one of the plastic fender brackets and twisted the steel arm. A hidden vine then used that exact moment to wrap itself through the rear sprockets, derailleur and hanger. After extracting everything I thought it was over, but a couple miles later the front end got squirrely - yep flat tire. About 6 miles from home.

Weak rant isn't it? :D

Re-checked my numbers today - it was 32 miles. A little over 4 hour ride. Tire seems to be holding air now. If it was tubeless, it might make sense, but I don't think it is. Weird.

~~~~

Last edited:
I use a torque wrench, But,,,, I'm a fan of blue loctite on my motorcycles
Often enough, one needs a blue hammer to undo stuff... :deal

I refuse to work on peoples stuff anymore that looks like it was fused together in a smelter.. Work on it yourself is my answer to people asking for "help" which means they look on while you sweat your nuts of unfuckulating their crap..:umph

At this point I'm surprised previous owner didn't Loctite the oil filter. Old filter looked like a shredded aluminum can after I got that damn thing off. Oil changes have been 20mins of "work" since then.

Took my eBike for a 40 mile ride to and around the old neighborhood yesterday. I left it in '75, my folks just a couple of years later. A lot of the woods are gone but some of the woods where we had our tree forts remain. I was having a good time reminiscing when I cut between a ditch and a tree and hit a stick. Maybe only 2" in diameter and 4' long, so I went over it. WRONG, it had a hidden offshoot that spun up and went into my spokes locking up the front wheel, almost tossing me over the handlebars, snapped one of the plastic fender brackets and twisted the steel arm. A hidden vine then used that exact moment to wrap itself through the rear sprockets, derailleur and hanger. After extracting everything I thought it was over, but a couple miles later the front end got squirrely - yep flat tire. About 6 miles from home.

Weak rant isn't it? :D

Re-checked my numbers today - it was 32 miles. A little over 4 hour ride.
What you NEED is a Suron. Those things are pretty sweet.

That does look like fun, but overkill for my needs. Cutting between that tree and ditch (a space only about 4' wide) is as off-road as I need anymore. My RadRover 6+ fattie is for the road, sidewalk and beach. I've been in this once very rural area for over 60 years and the dirtbike areas and the thousands of acres of woods we grew up with are long gone. :( Other than wetlands, a 125 acre patch of city-owned woods 150' away is all that remains. A group of local citizens (including me), concerned that even that might one day become Section 8 housing, petitioned the city to lease it for an Arboretum. Now it's filled with groomed trails that don't even allow pedal bikes. Pedestrian only. https://jacksonvillearboretum.org/

Bike trails cut into nearby Hanna Park prohibit ebikes. https://www.jacksonville.gov/depart...(1)/kathryn-abbey-hanna-park-trails-maps.aspx

eMotos would have to be trailered a long, long way.
But for folks that haven't been citified, that Surron looks Su-WEET!

Last edited:
At the shop. Bike inspection and having some other stuff done since it's here. They tried unfucking the front-left caliper mounting bolts and gave up before they snapped. Fuckers are seized in there. Will have to order new stuff some other time and make an entire day of it since it's my only mode of transportation. I don't have friends out here who ride.

At the shop. Bike inspection and having some other stuff done since it's here. They tried unfucking the front-left caliper mounting bolts and gave up before they snapped. Fuckers are seized in there. Will have to order new stuff some other time and make an entire day of it since it's my only mode of transportation. I don't have friends out here who ride.
Might be time to try welding a nut to the fastener before beeaking it off the hard way. the heat might break down the locktite and/or loosen the fit.

Maybe mix 50/50 acetone and ATF and apply a time or three. Let is soak for a bit and maybe the bolts come out. It’s a trick I learned from an outboard mechanic down in the FL Keys….

PS don’t smoke around that mixture….:deal:lol3
200.gif

Sounds like a near future project at casa de JimVonBaden

Fortunately the front brakes have more than 50% left.

Have you tried heat on the bolts?
I think I'll let the summer heat cook the bolts, when that time comes. Weather has been shitty for the last couple of days and will be the remainder of the week. There is no rush to get the caliper off since the front brake pads are in good shape. Bike passed yesterday's inspection without any issues.

Top Bottom Back Refresh