What's new

The V-Strom Picture Thread

20240217_085732.jpg

Here is the beast trail breaking..
Lower gearing would be great. I find 1st too tall for creeping even though the chassis is very well balanced. And 6th gear is useless under 70mph. I get close to or over 50mpg unless romping on it. I usually ride in 4th gear and still get decent mileage. The 804/805 tires are extreme for pavement but are great on soft ground. Decent on gravel...I get alot of wheel spin in the first 3 gears. There is some kind speed/torque limiter bypass gadget on the bike. I think it lies what gear is selected to the ecm.

Very impressive bike for 20yrs old. Kinda big for my needs. But gave me a great baseline for expectations on full size adv bikes. I might have to wash the bike for the first time today.

My biggest gripe is I see another bike beneath all the extra parts. I got quoted by a local for a custom gas tank that would either be the subframe or slip into a modded subframe. Getting a DL1000 below 450lbs while redistributing the front rear weight ratio would be night and day. Riding a gen3 klr back to back with a 20 yr old DL is cool. I have a hard time with which bike does what well. My klr was almost washed the front end multiple times on what I never even thought about in the logging yard on the DL. Neither has a low enough first. And both bikes over lap quite a bit. The strom chassis seems so advanced for what we might think of as a crude tl1000 converted to world tour bike of the early 2000s. Zook nailed gen1 DLs. Definitely one of the greatest mysteries of moto...I have experienced. But the weight and size is 120% concentration that is easy with 80% effort..odd odd stuff. I kinda know what parts weigh to get that sub 450lb 100hp dream machine. With great parts support and tubeless tires...

Well project strom has started. These are the greatest bikes ever. In 5 minutes....I have a new bike. Only 6 or 8 fasteners and some wiggling. The single connector runs the whole front clip and the ecm is happy disconnected

For mockup...I can delete alot of weight...these parts are quite heavy for purpose
20240505_003429.jpg

I purchased a used, low mile (1405 miles) 2017 V-Strom 650 a couple of weeks ago. The previous owners threw quite a few accessories on the bike and I’ve ridden it about 800 miles so far. Thumbs up for a great motorcycle that will be replacing my soon to be sold 2022 BMW R1250 GS. And, the pictures:
IMG_2886.jpeg
IMG_2885.jpeg

Top Bottom Back Refresh